enterprisedt.com Forum Index CompleteFTP
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Reply to topic Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
set ftp connection going out through proxy on defined port ?
Author Message
Reply with quote
Post set ftp connection going out through proxy on defined port ? 
hi Smile

i am trying to make the ftp client going out through proxy (Proxy+ 3.0). The proxy can be set to use defined port but the ftp connection accures on variables. The proxy is working fine with the web browser, so i have to find solution in the ftp client.
any ideas ?????
thanks Smile

Reply with quote
Post Re: set ftp connection going out through proxy on defined po 
Have you read the developers guide? There's a section there on using a proxy I believe

http://www.enterprisedt.com/products/edtftpj/documentation.html

viachi wrote:
hi Smile

i am trying to make the ftp client going out through proxy (Proxy+ 3.0). The proxy can be set to use defined port but the ftp connection accures on variables. The proxy is working fine with the web browser, so i have to find solution in the ftp client.
any ideas ?????
thanks Smile


View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Reply with quote
Post  
no effect Sad

Reply with quote
Post  
Using the following for (host,user,password) supplied to edtFTPj's FTPClient?

(firewallmachine, remoteuser@remotehost.com, remotepassword).

i.e. the remote machine is the firewall, the user is the login for the remote machine followed by '@' and then the remote host, and the password is the remote host's password for the user.

viachi wrote:
no effect Sad


View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Reply with quote
Post same problem ?! 
Hi,

I have the same problem. I must use a http-proxy which can be conntected only via the port 8080 (no password and user required). Reading the documentation of edtFTPj, I found your hint using the constructor with parameters FTPClient(firewallmachine, remoteuser@remotehost.com, remotepassword) - but:

- in the JavaDoc no such cunstructor is specified!
- how should the port of the proxy be defined?

By the way, my tests using java classes java.net.URL and java.net.URLConnection to access the ftp-server via the http-proxy has been successful.

support2 wrote:
Using the following for (host,user,password) supplied to edtFTPj's FTPClient?

(firewallmachine, remoteuser@remotehost.com, remotepassword).

i.e. the remote machine is the firewall, the user is the login for the remote machine followed by '@' and then the remote host, and the password is the remote host's password for the user.

viachi wrote:
no effect Sad


View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Reply with quote
Post Re: same problem ?! 
What it is saying is use the firewall machine as the host to connect to, and use remoteuser@remotehost.com as the user, and remotepassword as the password.

One of the FTPClient constructors allows you to supply a port number along with the host (which should be the firewall).

uzimmi wrote:
Hi,

I have the same problem. I must use a http-proxy which can be conntected only via the port 8080 (no password and user required). Reading the documentation of edtFTPj, I found your hint using the constructor with parameters FTPClient(firewallmachine, remoteuser@remotehost.com, remotepassword) - but:

- in the JavaDoc no such cunstructor is specified!
- how should the port of the proxy be defined?

By the way, my tests using java classes java.net.URL and java.net.URLConnection to access the ftp-server via the http-proxy has been successful.

support2 wrote:
Using the following for (host,user,password) supplied to edtFTPj's FTPClient?

(firewallmachine, remoteuser@remotehost.com, remotepassword).

i.e. the remote machine is the firewall, the user is the login for the remote machine followed by '@' and then the remote host, and the password is the remote host's password for the user.

viachi wrote:
no effect Sad


View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Reply with quote
Post Re: same problem ?! 
The problem is the connect to the proxy. I use this code:

FTPClient ftp = new FTPClient("194.39.156.90", 8080);

2 Minutes later (timeout ?) I get the following IOException:
- Unexpected null reply received

Additionally I tried to define some VM-Parameters with the same result (helpful with URL classes):
-DproxyHost=194.39.156.90 -DproxyPort=8080
-DftpProxyHost=194.39.156.90 -DftpProxyPort=8080


support2 wrote:
What it is saying is use the firewall machine as the host to connect to, and use remoteuser@remotehost.com as the user, and remotepassword as the password.

One of the FTPClient constructors allows you to supply a port number along with the host (which should be the firewall).

uzimmi wrote:
Hi,

I have the same problem. I must use a http-proxy which can be conntected only via the port 8080 (no password and user required). Reading the documentation of edtFTPj, I found your hint using the constructor with parameters FTPClient(firewallmachine, remoteuser@remotehost.com, remotepassword) - but:

- in the JavaDoc no such cunstructor is specified!
- how should the port of the proxy be defined?

By the way, my tests using java classes java.net.URL and java.net.URLConnection to access the ftp-server via the http-proxy has been successful.

support2 wrote:
Using the following for (host,user,password) supplied to edtFTPj's FTPClient?

(firewallmachine, remoteuser@remotehost.com, remotepassword).

i.e. the remote machine is the firewall, the user is the login for the remote machine followed by '@' and then the remote host, and the password is the remote host's password for the user.

viachi wrote:
no effect Sad


View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Reply with quote
Post Re: same problem ?! 
Question Do you need more information for solving the problem Question

Exclamation Please tell me, how I can assist with tests or anything else Exclamation


uzimmi wrote:
The problem is the connect to the proxy. I use this code:

FTPClient ftp = new FTPClient("194.39.156.90", 8080);

2 Minutes later (timeout ?) I get the following IOException:
- Unexpected null reply received

Additionally I tried to define some VM-Parameters with the same result (helpful with URL classes):
-DproxyHost=194.39.156.90 -DproxyPort=8080
-DftpProxyHost=194.39.156.90 -DftpProxyPort=8080


support2 wrote:
What it is saying is use the firewall machine as the host to connect to, and use remoteuser@remotehost.com as the user, and remotepassword as the password.

One of the FTPClient constructors allows you to supply a port number along with the host (which should be the firewall).



View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Reply with quote
Post Re: same problem ?! 
It is possible that your firewall/proxy isn't configured for FTP access. Can you FTP from the command-line out to a external host?

uzimmi wrote:
Question Do you need more information for solving the problem Question

Exclamation Please tell me, how I can assist with tests or anything else Exclamation



View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Reply with quote
Post Re: same problem ?! 
I think, my proxy is not configured for FTP access. Therefore a http-tunnel must be used. I found this hint:

FTP does indeed work with HTTP-Tunnel's service, but you must set your FTP client software to PASV mode and SOCKS 4/5 proxy 127.0.0.1 with port 1080.

Unfortunately the FTPClient class has no constructor with connection mode as parameter. I can set the SOCKS proxy, but the constructor FTPClient(host, port) will do his connect with the default connection mode, and this may be the ACTIVE mode. So I am not able to test it.

support2 wrote:
It is possible that your firewall/proxy isn't configured for FTP access. Can you FTP from the command-line out to a external host?
[/i]

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Reply with quote
Post Re: same problem ?! 
The connection mode is irrelevant when logging in - it is only used for data transfers such as get/put and directory listing.

So set the SOCKS proxy first - it's a static method - and then call the constructor.

After logging in change to PASV.

uzimmi wrote:
I think, my proxy is not configured for FTP access. Therefore a http-tunnel must be used. I found this hint:

FTP does indeed work with HTTP-Tunnel's service, but you must set your FTP client software to PASV mode and SOCKS 4/5 proxy 127.0.0.1 with port 1080.

Unfortunately the FTPClient class has no constructor with connection mode as parameter. I can set the SOCKS proxy, but the constructor FTPClient(host, port) will do his connect with the default connection mode, and this may be the ACTIVE mode. So I am not able to test it.

support2 wrote:
It is possible that your firewall/proxy isn't configured for FTP access. Can you FTP from the command-line out to a external host?
[/i]


View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Reply with quote
Post Re: same problem ?! 
OK, but my test failed with a connection refused exception. This attempt may be the wrong Crying or Very sad

I don't understand, why browsers (IE, Netscape) or some tools (e.g. Total Commander) can work with our proxy to handle FTP, but not your library or some other tools (e.g. WS_FTP).


support2 wrote:
The connection mode is irrelevant when logging in - it is only used for data transfers such as get/put and directory listing.

So set the SOCKS proxy first - it's a static method - and then call the constructor.

After logging in change to PASV.



View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Reply with quote
Post Re: same problem ?! 
Sorry, we don't know why either!

If you find out, please post the solution here.

uzimmi wrote:
OK, but my test failed with a connection refused exception. This attempt may be the wrong Crying or Very sad

I don't understand, why browsers (IE, Netscape) or some tools (e.g. Total Commander) can work with our proxy to handle FTP, but not your library or some other tools (e.g. WS_FTP).


View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Reply with quote
Post Re: same problem ?! 
The result of some additional tests using the debugger:

First problem is, that the proxy delivers no response after socket connet. Therefore I disabled the method call validateConnection() in the constructor of FTPControlSocket().

The next problem may be the ftp-communication throught the http-proxy. Login e.g. with ftp.login("ftp.microsoft.com", ""); returns an error 400 created by the proxy and login with ftp.login("ftp://ftp.microsoft.com", ""); delivers no response.

May be the Total Commander communicates with pure http and evaluates the http structured answer. I fear, this is the only possible way Crying or Very sad

support2 wrote:
Sorry, we don't know why either!

If you find out, please post the solution here.

uzimmi wrote:
OK, but my test failed with a connection refused exception. This attempt may be the wrong Crying or Very sad

I don't understand, why browsers (IE, Netscape) or some tools (e.g. Total Commander) can work with our proxy to handle FTP, but not your library or some other tools (e.g. WS_FTP).


View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Reply with quote
Post  
Is an HTTP Proxy supported at all? The built in SOCKS methods only apply to a SOCKS v4/v5 firewall, but many companies use http proxies (with or without ftp support).

Also, setting the htp/ftp proxy via system properties doesn't seem to influence the ftp class since it's based on Sockets directly.

Display posts from previous:
Reply to topic Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum