Discuss , our SFTP/FTP/FTPS/SCP server for Windows. Secure, fast and customizable!

Per-user events

no avatar
User

zygote

Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:22 am

Per-user events

by zygote » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:31 am

Hi,

I'm currently trialling completeFTP and Syncplify.me. I need to be able to have events that only trigger for a specific user. e.g. When bob logs in and uploads some files, I want the files moved to a directory on the main share but I don't want any other events to process.

When I tried it with two user accounts, Dave and Bob with an event to move all files from Dave's root to another directory, the files moved when Bob uploaded files to his root. I really need each user to have their own set of events. Seems like a simple enough requirement. It works as I need in Syncplify.me but the downside is that it only supports "proper" languages for scripting and I'm a server guy who knows batch and powershell, not C++ or Javascript. (also supports pascal and BASIC!! Thought they were extinct!)

Is this possible with completeFTP?
no avatar
User

support2

Tue May 18, 2004 8:30 am

Re: Per-user events

by support2 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:12 am

Yes, you can do this. The events work on a file system basis, so you just need to set the Filter field correctly.

If you want only Dave's files to apply for a certain event, specify "/home/Dave/*" as the filter, and it will only be triggered when files in that directory arrive or are modified.
no avatar
User

zygote

Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:22 am

by zygote » Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:29 am

Thanks for the reply.

So if I need to do this for multiple users, how do I ensure that the events are only triggering for the user that is carrying out the action?

If I understand what you're saying then if I have 10 "upload file" events for 10 different users that move the files from their respective ftp root to a discreet location on our main share for each event; then regardless of which of the 10 users upload files, all 10 events will trigger, albeit restricted to their relevant filter. Right?

Am I correct in thinking that I cannot have specific per-user events that only trigger on that user carrying out an action?
no avatar
User

support2

Tue May 18, 2004 8:30 am

by support2 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:39 am

Events run based on their filter, not on a user.

So if you have 10 upload events for 10 different users, each event is triggered only when files are uploaded matching the filter - effectively per user if you restrict the filter to their files only.

BUT if for each user you want the uploaded files to be moved to the same (or similar) location on the main share, then you'll only need one filter for all the users.

Process triggers have a range of macros you can use, like the username of the logged-in user - so you can use that as part of the path that you move the uploaded files to (for example) - to individualize the event even though it applies to all users.