Discuss (FTP) and (SFTP, FTPS and SCP), our Java file transfer clients.
no avatar
User

solid

Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:20 am

List files and inconsistent paths

by solid » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:48 am

I am confused by the way this library works. The confusion has led to alot of convoluted code and I need help straightening it out.
I have a server (filezilla's FTP server for windows) that hosting 2 ftp users (user1 and user 2). The root of user1's "home" or root folder is actually c:\ftp\users\user1 and the root of user2's ftp folder is actually c:\ftp\users\user2. In each case, when they log in via a normal ftp client, there is no available parent directory as their users have a virtual root of whatever the home folder is (meaning they can cd ..)
My problem is that I am having trouble listing these directories and getting consistent results.
For instance, I execute ftoClient.dirDetails("/") for user1, I get an array of FTPFile objects (actually an array of 1) with the following details:
[ {
group: "ftp",
isDir: false,
name: "text.txt",
path: "///",
size: 151,
lastModified: 1297377540000,
... other attributes omitted
}
]

Now later, I loop through this array and I do a dirDetails() against the contents of the name attribute (text.txt) and I get the following:
[ {
group: "ftp",
isDir: false,
name: "text.txt",
path: "//text.txt",
size: 151,
lastModified: 1297377540000,
... other attributes omitted
}
]

So now I have several questions:
1) why is the path inconsistent ("///" vs "//text.txt") when listing directory details of a directory vs listing directory details on a file? It is the same object each time. Shouldn't it have the same path regardless of which object is the root?
2) why does the path start with 2 extra "/" characters in both cases? The root is actually "/", There is no possible way a filename can start with 2 "/".
3) shouldn't calling dirDetails on a file (as apposed to a directory) result in some kind of exception?
4) is there a more consistent way to get FTPFile objects based on paths?
no avatar
User

support2

Tue May 18, 2004 8:30 am

Re: List files and inconsistent paths

by support2 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:28 pm

Servers are quite inconsistent with how they behave listing directories - some accept no parameters, and some accept a filename as the parameter, and list only that file.

The most reliable way of listing a directory is to change into that directory, and use dirDetails("").
no avatar
User

solid

Update -still not working but getting better.

by solid » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:31 am

no avatar
User

solid

tried using the fileDetails() method - now its worse

by solid » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:52 am

no avatar
User

EDT Support

Mon Apr 26, 2004 3:03 pm

by EDT Support » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:33 pm

There certainly does seem to be a bug there somewhere.

Can you use the size() and modtime() methods instead? These pertain to individual files rather than whole directories.

- Hans (EnterpriseDT)