Discuss the FTP protocol, secure FTP, FTP over SSH and FTP over SSL.
no avatar
User

bobg

Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:52 am

question on different products

by bobg » Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:04 am

currently i am evaluating edtftpnetpro however i am interested in the completeftp package for economical reasons.
current config that works with edtftpnetpro
making a sftp port 22 connection to a windows server running cygwin .

Will ftpcomplete fill my needs and if so what if any fuctionallity will i give up

Thanks bobg
no avatar
User

support2

Tue May 18, 2004 8:30 am

Re: question on different products

by support2 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:14 am

edtFTPnet/PRO is a client library which is used for making secure transfers (SFTP and FTPS) to/from FTP servers.

CompleteFTP is an FTP server for Windows supporting SFTP and FTPS (well, 1.1 doesn't support SFTP, but 2.0 will be released next week and does offer full SFTP support).

So if you want to connect to a Windows server running cygwin (including an SFTP server on port 22), you'll need edtFTPnet/PRO.

If you don't want to use cygwin for the SFTP server, you can replace it with CompleteFTP.
no avatar
User

EDT Support

Mon Apr 26, 2004 3:03 pm

by EDT Support » Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:14 am

Obviously Complete FTP is fully compatible with edtFTPnet/PRO as they are in fact built on the same code-base. Unless you are using some of the really specialized features of Cygwin's sshd, then Complete FTP should satisfy your requirements amply. You will find that it's far easier to configure. Its virtual file system will give you much better control over where directories are placed and its user management makes it much easier to create and manage users.

Does that answer your question?

- Hans (EnterpriseDT)
no avatar
User

bobg

Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:52 am

by bobg » Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:12 am

Hans
Thank you for the quick responce and yes it does answer my question

Thanks
no avatar
User

EDT Support

Mon Apr 26, 2004 3:03 pm

by EDT Support » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:05 am

Hi Bob

After reading Bruce's reply I thought I might've misunderstood your question and I'm still a little unsure what you meant, so I just want to reiterate what Bruce said to make sure there is no confusion. Complete FTP is a an SFTP server, whereas edtFTPnet/PRO is an SFTP client. So, while they can be used together, they are not interchangeable.

- Hans (EnterpriseDT)